ELAC's JET-powered tweeter
Instead of the concentric tweeter/midrange combo found in several other ELAC speakers, the Carina series features ELAC's famous JET folded-ribbon tweeter, used in some of the company's most expensive speakers. The tweeter element is extremely thin and lightweight, and suspended in a magnetic field, so it's able to accelerate with incredible speed, to reproduce the subtlest music details.
Dual woofers and dual ports deliver serious low-end impact
The FS247.4 is considered a "2-1/2-way" speaker instead of the more traditional two-way because its 5-1/4" woofers don't cover the same frequency range. The upper 5-1/4" cone handles the upper midrange, and because it's physically closest to the tweeter, provides a seamless blend of mid and high frequencies. The lower 5-1/4" cone covers the lower midrange and bass frequencies — down to a remarkable 34 Hz!
These cones feature a "compound curvature" shape that helps control cone breakup and moves it beyond the woofer's operating frequency range. A large-diameter voice coil precisely controls each woofer's stop-start motion, contributing to this speaker's exceptionally dynamic sound.
Unusually, the FS247.4 has two bass-reflex ports: a rear-firing port and one that fires downward from the cabinet's slanted bottom.
Build a complete Carina system
- 2-1/2 way, 3-driver design
- JET folded ribbon tweeter for lightning-fast response and wide dynamic range
- two 5-1/4" aluminum-cone drivers: one mid/bass and one woofer
- bass-reflex cabinet with two ports, one rear-firing and one down-firing
- frequency response: 34-30,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 30-120 watts
- dual sets of binding post speaker terminals with bi-amp/bi-wire capability
- four outrigger stabilizer feet with spikes for carpeted floors and isolation pucks for hard floors
- no grille is included
- 9-5/16"W x 43-3/8"H x 9-7/8"D (with outrigger feet and carpet spikes installed)
- weight: 36.2 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
*Price is for single Speaker