KEF R3 Meta
Call 410-882-4360 to Order!
KEF R3 Meta
(Priced Per Pair)
A major upgrade for KEF's beautiful R Series stand-mount speakers
KEF's R Series speakers get rave reviews from Crutchfield customers and employees alike for their sleek looks and precise sound. The R3 Meta is the stand-mount (a.k.a. "bookshelf") model in the latest version of this popular line, and it features some important design upgrades for even better performance than before. This speaker pair offers a tantalizing combination of gorgeous looks plus KEF's hi-fi pedigree. (Just remember: you'll want high-quality stands to let these really shine. More on that below.)
Revolutionary MAT technology improves performance
This speaker gets the "Meta" part of its name from KEF's innovative Metamaterial Absorption Technology (MAT) — a highly complex, mazelike structure that absorbs unwanted sound waves coming from the rear of the tweeter. The resulting sound is clearer, purer, and more detailed.
Exploded view of the advanced Uni-Q driver, with the MAT absorber at far right
An upgraded Uni-Q® driver array for better clarity and accuracy
KEF's patented Uni-Q technology places the R3 Meta's 1" vented aluminum dome tweeter in the acoustic center of the 5" aluminum cone midrange driver. This arrangement allows the sound from the two drivers to reach our ears at the same time, resulting in more natural sound. Uni-Q technology is now in its 12th generation, and the engineers at KEF have designed this version to reduce distortion caused by several factors, as well as optimizing it to take full advantage of the aforementioned MAT absorber. Bottom line: these R Series models offer even more natural-sounding performance than earlier versions, thanks to cutting-edge Uni-Q drivers.
The ring you see around the Uni-Q array is what KEF calls their "Shadow Flare." Its shape is carefully profiled so that the tweeter doesn't have "line of sight" to the cabinet's edges. This design minimizes a potential source of audible distortion known as sound wave "diffraction," which can occur when the high frequencies coming from the tweeter couple with the speaker's front baffle and muddy the sound. It's just one of many design elements that helps give this speaker its clarity and precision.
A high-tech woofer for taut, well-tuned bass
The R3 Meta's 6-1/2" hybrid aluminum woofer is made up of a shallow aluminum skin atop a paper cone. This hybrid design allows very precise movement for dynamic, accurate bass. And the rear-firing cabinet port has innovative flexible walls to prevent air turbulence and unwanted resonance from coloring the sound.
Good stands are a must-have for hi-fi performance
Placing the R3 Metas on a solid set of speaker stands can minimize sound-muddying vibrations and allow them to perform as designed. (This is an important rule of thumb for any bookshelf speakers.) Specifically, we recommend using the matching kef S3 stands so the speakers will fit on the top plates properly and the tweeters will be placed at approximately the same height as your ears, for the best possible sound. Placement tip: because the R3 Metas are rear-ported, they'll sound better if you can position them with a little extra space between them and the wall.
- 3-way design
- 1" vented aluminum dome tweeter with MAT absorber
- KEF's exclusive MAT (Metamaterial Absorption Technology ) absorbs 99% of the unwanted sound coming from the rear of the tweeter, for clearer, more natural performance
- 5" aluminum cone midrange driver
- tweeter and midrange use KEF's Uni-Q technology, with tweeter in center of midrange driver
- creates a large listening "sweet spot" in your room
- 6-1/2" hybrid aluminum cone woofer
- frequency response: 58-28,000 Hz (±3 dB)
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- impedance: 4 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 15-180 watts
- bass-reflex cabinet with Constrained Layer Damping to reduce resonance
- rear-firing port with flexible port technology for precise bass
- two sets of input terminals allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
- detachable microfiber grilles
- threaded inserts for securing speakers to matching S3 Stands (sold separately)
- 7-15/16"W x 16-5/8"H x 13-1/4"D (including terminals)
- weight: 27.3 lbs. each
- warranty: 5 years